A Vegan Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving! Have you ever had a vegan thanksgiving before? You should try it. Here are some recipes for your vegan version of Cornbread and Apple Pie. (inspiration from the Vegan Health and Fitness Magazine)
Here’s a more traditional recipe that I came up with:
1 cup coarse or medium-grind yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup corn flour
1/4 cup starch
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp ground flaxseed (flax meal) with 5 tbsp water
2 cups organic applesauce
1/4 cup 100% pure grade A maple syrup
- CASHEW MILK: soak 1 cup of raw cashews over night. In the morning, drain the cashews and rinse them off. Place the soaked cashews in a blender. Add agave and water. Blend until smooth. Strain the Cashew milk to catch any pulp. (Save the pulp – it’s a great addition to pancakes or cereals).
- CORNBREAD: Preheat oven to 400 F/190 C degrees. Coat loaf pan or 9-inch baking pan with coconut oil spray. Whisk together cornmeal, corn flour, corn starch, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Combine the flax meal with water and it will immediately thicken. Stir in applesauce, dry mixture and maple syrup. May need to add more applesauce until the mixture becomes doughy. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Spread batter in prepared pan, and bake for 20 – 35 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp on top and sides.
- Cool 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Raw Pear Pie (from Vegan Health and Fitness)
**this is not my original recipe. Please go to Vegan Health and Fitness for the original recipe and for other delicious recipes as well.**
1 cup dates
3 cups oat flour (I used quinoa flour – – you could also try buckwheat flour)
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp nutmeg
**2 tbsp water
5 medium sized pears
pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
- Blend all crust ingredients into a food processor (no maple syrup) until it becomes a crumble texture (**may need to add more water as needed)
- Lightly coat a 9-inch pie plate with coconut oil spray. Make a patty and then press crust mixture onto plate.
- Thinly slice the pears and place in a bowl. Cover the pears with lemon juice and make sure the juice is evenly distributed.
- Layer the pear slices in the pie crust in a spiral pattern. Top each layer with a drizzle of maple syrup. Sprinkle each layer with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Serve or bake: If you are eating it raw, refrigerate for a couple of hours to get the crust to set up firm. OR bake at 350 F/175 C until warm.