6 Supplements That Help Boost the Immune System
If you’re like me, you are a bit anxious about going back into the “real world” now that restaurants, retail, and other stores are opening up after the Covid 19 Pandemic. So, I’ve been researching and finding out ways to support my immune system, given that it’s been compromised having been quarantined inside for two months. Some of these supplements I have been taking on a regular basis or occasionally, whenever I feel under-the-weather, for years. Others, I more recently discovered their health benefits. Pick and choose a handful if you like. I hope these help you build up your immune system and feel a little more confident in the process of returning to normal.
Supplements that Help Boost the Immune System:
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C (also known as absorbic acid) is necessary for the body to repair all bodily tissues. It’s recommended that you get 500 milligrams of Vitamin C per day in addition to eating a variety of fruits and vegetables. I love the chewable Vitamin C tablets from Trader Joe’s.
- Vitamin D – The body doesn’t produce Vitamin D, so we must get it from an external source. What is that source? The sun! While too much sun exposure can be dangerous and cause damage to skin leading to skin cancer, 15 minutes of sun a day can provide you with a healthy amount of Vitamin D. However, if you are like me and you live in colder climates like, Chicago, New York, Canada, etc. you may need to add a Vitamin D supplement into your diet. Vitamin D regulates the amount of calcium and phosphate in the body. If the body doesn’t have enough Vitamin D, it may pull calcium away from the bone leaving bones brittle and weak. I get my Vitamin D supplement from Vitacost.
- Oregano Oil – I’ve been adding more oregano oil into my diet since being quarantined due to a sore throat I got a couple weeks ago. Oregano Oil helps boost the immune system. How? carvacrol and thymol. Carvacrol is the main active compound in oregano oil and a type of antioxidant called phenol. Thymol helps protect toxins and fights fungal infections. Oregano also helps reduce inflammation!
- Barley Grass – Barley grass strengthens the immune system, alkalines the body, cleanses the body by getting rid of any toxins, increases energy, aids in digestion, and improves health of skin, hair and nails. It’s also a great addition to your diet if you need to remove toxins or heavy metals out of the thyroid. For example, if you have high levels of mercury in your blood.
- Hawaiian Spirulina – I love Spirulina!!! Wait, but Collin? What is Spirulina? Well, I’m glad you asked. It’s a typeof cyanobacteria (otherwise known as a type of blue-green algae). It has loads of health benefits such as detoxing the body, it contains complete proteins (that has the full essential amino acid breakdown) , B1 & B2 Vitamins, copper, iron, magnesium and potassium. This is one powerful superfood that keeps your body healthy, provides the body with essential nutrients and rids your body of any toxins, which ultimately decreases inflammation in the body.
- Wellness Formula – Last, but certainly not least. Wellness Formula is an herbal defense complex that helps support and strengthen the immune system. It comes in pill, tablet, or liquid form. Wellness formula contains garlic, echinacea, elderberry, and many other herbs that aid in supporting a healthy immune system. I swear by this stuff whenever I am feeling like I’m getting sick. It really does work. Sometimes I can completely fight off a small illness purely by beginning to take Wellness Formula at the first signs of having symptoms. I also like to take Wellness Formula before traveling.